Thursday 31 December 2020

Adieu, L'Europe!

 We're out!  As of 23:00 GMT tonight, we're officially no longer in the EU.  58 years after General de Gaulle declared he didn't want us in what was then the Common Market, because he didn't look upon us as 'properly committed' Europeans, we've more or less proved him right after all.  After the referendum result which proved to the the undoing of two Prime Ministers, BoJo pulled a deal off at the last minute and got us a result.  The butter mountain, the wine lake and associated other lunacies are now consigned to the dustbin of history, at least as far as the UK is concerned. I will confess to being a little wistful at the end of something which could have been a lot better than it was, and that, I can't help feeling, was a sentiment which enough people shared to produce the 52-48% majority vote - a result which took a number of people by surprise, so much so that the the politicians were largely unprepared for it!  But, for better or for worse, Brexit is now a reality, and I suspect quite a few eyes will be peeled looking to see what happens next in case any of the 27 others want to jump ship.  Interesting times ahead, perhaps.

I've been hearing sounds of intermittent fireworks this evening, although somewhat muted and distant, an indication perhaps that people will be observing the 'Stay at Home' edict this year.  When I was a teenager, living in Kenilwoth, we got some new Scottish next-door neighbours who invited us round for a drink with them at Hogmanay.  And it was actually at a New Year's Eve party in 1971 that Carol and I became an 'item' and started going out together.  Since then, we'd always stayed up to see the New Year in, drinking a toast as Big Ben struck midnight.   I gather they're intending to ring it as usual this year, although the renovation work is not fully finished yet.

I might even make a New Year's Resolution or two.  Some years I do, some years I don't but the result is the same both ways, I don't usually keep them.  This year I've got rather more incentive than usual, however, so I'm minded to at least try and make the effort. 

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment