Tuesday 19 January 2021

Schadenfreude

I suspect I'm not the only person who saw a delicious irony in today's news story about our esteemed Health Secretary Matt Hancock being required to self-isolate after apparently coming into close contact with an infected Covid-19 person.  No-one knows who he or she is, nor when or where it happened, but there's been no suggestion as far as I'm aware that the 'alert message' he was sent is a hoax or malicious.  So it rather begs the question as to how he, who passes up no opportunity to drive home the message about social distancing and avoiding close contact with anyone, has apparently come a cropper by letting someone get close enough to him to perhaps pass it on.

Don't get me wrong, I don't wish him any physical harm, but I hope I may be forgiven for making the observation that for him to have gone footballing in a crowded public park at the weekend, thereby possibly passing it on if it turns out he is infected, was hardly setting the shining example to the rest of us.  But then again, since when have politicians bothered particularly about what the rest of us think of them?  (/end cynicism).

No comments:

Post a Comment